Tuesday, March 5, 2013

The Funeral

My Mom and brothers were going to go dress my Dad the morning of the viewing, but a family friend said it was a spiritual experience and said that the whole family should go. So we decided that all the siblings would go with my Mom. We all got there and the coroner had already put on his garments for us and then the boys did most of the dressing. We each did a button on his shirt and I put on one of his shoes. I did not look at it as a body with no life, it was my Dad. I did not fear touching him or helping at all. It was a special experience and I am glad we decided to go. Before we left, we said a family prayer. I did surprisingly well during this whole process. It was just the beginning of a very long three days.
The viewing was Thursday, February 14th. It was wonderful. A lot of friends and family came to show their love and support. There was a lot of tears and a lot of smiles too. It was a long night to get through, but we all did our best. The viewing was from 6-8, but it didn't get over until about nine because there were so many people that came. My Daddy was a very loved man.
Friday, we had another viewing before the funeral started at noon. More friends and family came. We had a family prayer and then the casket was closed and we all followed it into the chapel for the service. Trying to decide the funeral was very stressful, it is a lot harder then one might think. My brother Tim read the Eulogy, then my Dad's cousin, Uncle Tracy, shared memories of my Dad. The girls sang a song that combined I am a Child of God and Families can be Together Forever.  Then my brothers Dustin and Scott gave talks.  Bishop Doug Milne ended by saying a few words. The whole thing was beautiful. I could have sat there all day and listened to stories about my Dad. Everyone did a great job, there was enough laughter brought into it and enough spirituality too.




The above picture is my family and my Dad's twin brother's family. 14 children from two great men, seven from each. We are lined up oldest to youngest.

My Dad is from Star Valley, Wyoming. That is where he wanted to be buried, in his hometown. It is by far one of the most beautiful places on this earth. Everyone who has been there will agree. It has always had a special place in my heart, but even more so now. My Dad always bragged about how he got four plots for $1. We were a little worried that he didn't really have a plot. Four for a $1, really? We questioned it, but my brother called and they said that Terry Johnson had bought four plots. My Dad made a good purchase on that one!
On Saturday morning my family all headed to Star Valley to bury my Dad. A dear family friend drove my Dad up in the back of his mini van. We all laughed about that. We got to the church and had a short viewing there because we knew there would be people up there who would not be able to make it to the funeral. A lot of people came to say their goodbyes. It was hard to go through it all again. There, is when the casket was finally closed for good. Sheriff Shane, my cousin, drove his truck with its lights on and we all followed him up to the cemetery. We could not get over how beautiful the day was. It didn't even feel cold outside, the sun was brightly shining. My Mom said that Dad made it warm for her because he knows how much she hated the cold.
We got to the cemetery and my Uncle Gary dedicated the grave. Afterwards, all the girls picked a flower from the floral arrangement on the casket to keep. We hung out for a while because no one wanted to leave. This was it, it was our final goodbye.







Above is my Dad's parents grave. He was finally reunited with them.

There was a luncheon after the burial. It was nice to still be with family. When we decided it was finally time to head home, our family all went back to the cemetery to see my Dad officially buried. They had laid all the flowers on top of the grave site. We will miss our Dad and Papa. He was definitely a beacon of light in my life. I love you Dad.

1 comments:

Katie Cash Davis said...

Jackie, Kellie sent me the link for your blog. I have been thinking so much about you and your family and your sweet dad. I am so thankful that I was able to know him and to grow up in the same ward as your family. I have always loved the Johnson family and have always thought you were all the greatest. I'm so sorry for the hard time you are going through.