Friday, June 28, 2013

My Dad's Birthday

It was my Dad's birthday on June 28. He would have turned 71 years old. I wanted to do something that we would be able to continue to do every year to celebrate him, but also to help Jackson remember him. He is so young and I am afraid he is going to forget his Papa. I have heard of people letting balloons go in remembrance of loved one on their birthdays and I thought that would be a good thing for us to start doing. In the morning, Jackson and I wrote Papa a little birthday note and I had Jackson color on it. I explained whose birthday it was and what we were going to do. Jackson was excited because he loves balloons. After we wrote our note then we went to Zurchers and picked out balloons.



My Dad was a farm boy so I thought the balloon with the horse would be really cute. Jackson actually picked it out for his balloon to keep and I knew my Dad would like it too.
Below is our birthday note inside the balloon.


We waited until CJ got home from work so he could be there too. I handed Jackson the balloons one at a time and he let them go into the sky. We said "Happy Birthday Papa!" and let them fly.







It was a hard morning, but the day got better. I knew my Dad wouldn't want us to be sad on this day, but tears were still shed. It was a simple way to remember my Dad, but special. I am very grateful for the time I was able to spend with him. We almost lost him when I was a senior in high school, but it wasn't his time. I was blessed with almost ten more years to spend with him. He was unable to attend my graduation, but he was there for my wedding and the birth of Jackson. It meant a lot to have him there for two very big and important events in my life.  He was able to see Jackson grow from newborn to two years old and that means a lot even though it was just a few short years.  He is still missed and always will be. Little things always remind me of him, but hopefully one day they will bring happiness instead of sadness. I love you Dad, Happy Birthday.

1 comments:

Spenny and Nellie Morris said...

Such a sweet, wonderful idea! My sister told us about an idea to remember your loved one that we want to do for my grandma--on their birthday you make some of their favorite food for dinner, then read stories & look at picture of them. You can even do one of their favorite activities as well. Just an idea. Fun to start traditions to remember our loved ones and important for our children to know who they are. Love ya Jackie!